- 3 Tbsp. canola or peanut oil
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- *Can substitute green cabbage
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. five-spice powder (optional)
- Heat the canola oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the cabbage and saute until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is completely tender and very flavorful.
- Serve Hot.
I love that this recipe makes a lot- that means there are leftovers so I don't have to prepare vegetables later in the week.
Source: Serving up the Harvest, Amanda Chesman 2007