- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (or 7 ½ ounces)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats (or 2 ½ ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- Optional: Generous handfuls of blueberries if you have them
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper muffin cup liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder and soda, salt, and sugar).
- In a medium bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, vanilla, canola oil, eggs, walnuts, and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir just enough to moisten and combine the ingredients.
- Divide the batter between the 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 23-25 minutes or until a piece of spaghetti inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from a Banana Bread recipe in Cook’s Illustrated “The Best Light Recipe,” 2006.