- ½ cup sugar (or less if desired)
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel- see note
- 5-6 unpeeled apples- cut into quarters, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup cranberries or frozen blueberries (optional)
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, and lemon peel; mix well. Add apples and berries; stir to mix. Spoon into a baking dish that will hold the apples with room to spare for the topping- about a 1 ½ quart dish.
- Topping: in a small bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nuts, if using. Add melted butter; stir to combine. Sprinkle topping over filling.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and top is brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6 or more.
An easy way to “grate” the lemon peel is to peel thin strips of peel with a vegetable peeler and then chop finely.
Adapted from Down Home Healthy Cookin’ published by the National Cancer Institute 1995.