Every leading health organization recommends that we eat a more plant-based diet. Beans are in the same food group as beef, chicken, and fish because they provide your body with the same nutrients. Eating beans for protein instead of animals is not only good for your body but it’s also good for the planet and your grocery bill. Here’s a delicious and easy recipe that you can serve as a main dish or as a starch in place of rice, potato, or noodles.
- 1Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 15-oz cans cannellini (white kidney) beans - drained and rinsed
- 1- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes - undrained
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a 12” skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in drained beans, tomatoes, parsley, and basil. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Mix in parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and pepper just before serving.
- Note: While not required, fresh garlic, a real lemon, grating your own Parmesan cheese, and grinding your own pepper transforms your food from ho-hum to yum!
Recipe adapted from one in Lickety Split Meals by Zonya Foco, RD