Curried Grape and Rice Salad
- 1 cup brown rice
- ¼ cup chopped onion (I use more)
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 T canola or olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 recipe Curry Dressing (below)
- 1 ½ cups seedless red grapes
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken (or a can of chick peas)
- ½ cup (or more) chopped colorful pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro (I used parsley)
- Condiments: mango chutney, green onions, shredded coconut, cashew nut halves, as desired.
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger root- I use a lot more
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Saute onion and curry powder in oil until onions are tender. Stir in rice. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Add ¼ cup Curry Dressing to rice and cool mixture.
- Add grapes, chicken or chick peas, peppers, parsley and additional curry dressing to taste (careful with the dressing- too much is overpowering). Mix well and serve with condiments of choice.