- 1 ½ cups wheat berries*
- 6 cups water
- 5 ounces Cabot 50% reduced fat cheddar, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes (or diced red pepper)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 scallion, green and white parts, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard (other types will do)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Combine wheat berries and water in a large saucepan, bring to boil and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain well and cool.
- Transfer wheat berries to a large bowl; add cheese, tomatoes or peppers, corn, scallion, and lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients except salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss together well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Just before serving, stir salad again and season with salt and pepper.
Find hard wheat berries in the bulk bins at the Concord Food Coop on South Main Street.
Recipe from Cabot Cooperative Creamery