- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour or 7 ½ ounces
- 2/3 cup rolled oats or 2 ½ ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest grated lemon peel
- Optional: Generous handfuls of blueberries if you have them
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper muffin cup liners.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, oats, baking powder and soda, salt, and sugar).
In a medium bowl, combine the bananas, yogurt, vanilla, canola oil, eggs, walnuts, and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir just enough to moisten and combine the ingredients.
Divide the batter between the 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 23-25 minutes or until a piece of spaghetti inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from a Banana Bread recipe in Cook’s Illustrated “The Best Light Recipe,” 2006.