Serving Size: Makes 4 servings. This Chickpea Ragout is tasty as a vegetarian entree or a starchy side dish. It's especially good the next day. I usually make an extra large batch and freeze some in lunch sized containers. I use lots more parsley than the recipe calls for. Extra parsley can be chopped up by hand or in a food processor and frozen in a plastic bag for future use.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cups diced tomatoes or 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 16- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth I love the Better Than Bouillon paste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat and add the onion and scallions.
Saute for 2 to 3 minutes to soften the vegetables, then add the remaining ingredients, except the parsley.
Return to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and boil gently for 15 minutes.
Remove the lid and boil for a few minutes to reduce the liquid.
Divide among 4 bowls, then sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.
Recipe adapted from Jacques Pepin's, Simple & Healthy Eating Cookbook