Cranberry Broccoli Salad
- 1 ¼ cup fresh cranberries chopped
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 cups small pieces of broccoli florets and stems lightly steamed (don’t overcook or they will fall apart!)
- 4 cups shredded cabbage and carrot slaw mix
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 6 slices bacon crisp cooked, drained and crumbled (I don’t use)
- 1 cup mayonnaise see note below regarding the dressing
- 3 tablespoons white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper
In a small bowl, combine the cranberries and sugar; cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving time.
In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, shredded cabbage, walnuts, raisins, onion, and bacon.
In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and celery seed; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle salad with mayonnaise dressing. You can use all of it, or season it to taste. Toss to combine.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
Just before serving, gently fold in the cranberry mixture.
I make a half recipe of the dressing (½ cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon celery seed, and 1 ½ tablespoons cider vinegar). Source: Teresa Maier’s Simple Suppers column in the Concord Monitor, November 2003