Nutrition Counseling Services
At Nutrition Works! in Concord, New Hampshire, we offer nutrition counseling services for a variety of nutrition-related problems.
We practice in a holistic way, which means that we will discuss how all aspects of your life influence your eating and activity patterns.
Nutrition Counseling Services in Concord, NH
At Nutrition Works!, our licensed, registered dietitians provide in-person and virtual nutrition sessions as part of our regular business hours. Telehealth sessions are conducted via a HIPAA-compliant platform.
Whether you find us on your own or are referred by your doctor, the approach is the same:
- We have a conversation about what you want to accomplish.
- You share what’s important to you.
- We let you decide what you want to work on.
- We offer suggestions that you are welcome to accept or reject.
- We tailor recommendations to your level of readiness to change.
- We proceed at your pace.
- We try to remember to back off when you indicate that you don’t want to do something.
- We are honest with you.
- We provide inspiration, expertise, accountability, and support.
- We aim to provide you with the very best counseling experience we can.
(We are more directive with clients who are underage and have an eating disorder.)
We also offer nutritional counseling to groups and businesses.
We often receive calls from people asking about our “nutrition program.” The truth is, we don’t have a “one size fits all” program because every person is truly unique. Our nutrition counseling process is to work with you to create a fully customized plan that addresses your unique situation and goals.
Here’s what happens when you choose to work with us:
- We start with a comprehensive nutrition assessment that usually takes 60-90 minutes.
- We ask questions about your goals, health, family health history, medications and dietary supplements, weight history, lab values, lifestyle and physical activity level, how balanced your life feels, how food and eating fit into your usual day, how you do your shopping and cooking, and explore your favorite foods.
- Based on that information, we are able to formulate a nutrition diagnosis and suggest specific interventions that will move you toward your goal(s).
The majority of our clients tell us that they would rather leave with just a few things to work on rather than embarking on a major overhaul of their diet. We work collaboratively and at your pace.
It’s important to remember that the first visit is mostly focused on assessment and that the specific information comes in future visits. Most clients return in about two weeks for an hour-long visit. At this and future visits, discussion might focus on the following:
- How much of which foods your body needs to feel good.
- How to plan easy, tasty, nutritious meals and snacks.
- How to tune into signals from your body to figure what, when, and how much to eat.
- How to incorporate all foods, regardless of their nutritional value, into a healthy way of eating.
- How many calories your body needs to function and how different foods and activities affect your calorie balance.
- How to make choices at restaurants and social events.
- How to differentiate between real hunger and just feeling like eating.
- How to bring enjoyment back to food and eating.
- Problem solving, problem solving, and more problem solving!
- How to continue new behaviors for the long term.
We highly recommend that most clients plan on at least 3-6 visits.
Individuals with disordered eating will also benefit from a longer commitment. Appointment length and frequency varies depending on each client’s needs.