- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini about 9 ounces, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 small onion cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- One 32-ounce carton all-natural chicken broth or 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon in 4 cups water
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans preferably low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow or penne pasta
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Fresh basil cut into strips, optional
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently until the vegetables start soften, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat if the vegetables brown too quickly.
Stir in the broth and tomato sauce, cover, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Add the beans, pasta, and thyme, reduce the heat and cook at a low boil, uncovered, until the pasta is done, about 10 minutes.
Remove the thyme sprigs, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in individual bowls and top with the Parmesan cheese and basil as desired.
Source: No Whine with Dinner- 150 healthy, kid-tested recipes by Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex, 2011. Visit their website for this and other great recipes: www.mealmakeovermoms.com